Monday, December 31, 2007

FAREWELL TO 2007

I'm not often fooled, but I ended 2007 with a big one!! In looking for slides for the Christmas sideshow, I found this delightful picture of me, Steve and Tom. Hmm..Steve looks to be about two years old, so it must be 1979. I didn't remember ever having a pink and white granny square afghan, but, oh well...the shirt Tom has on is one of his absolute favorites which he wore every day and every night for months until I threw it away. However, today I looked at the picture more closely and realized that "Tom" is older than "Steve." That I really didn't have a pink and white afghan, and that I don't recognize the china cabinet in the corner!! It's actually a picture of Aunt Joan; Jeff is the two year old, and Joe is wearing the shirt he eventually handed down to Tom!! I don't often make such a mistake, but.... This is how Steve really looked in 1979!! It's probably the same shirt, since we exchanged hand-me-downs often. Tommy is the baby; Grandma Kennedy is there because Tommy was blessed on that day. The little guy with no shirt on is Zach Panhorst.
This is how Aunt Joan and I look now. How could I have made such a silly mistake??


I end 2007 thinking of a topic which I've already addressed in an earlier blog. Forgiveness. Forgiving ourselves. Forgiving others. I watched a brief tv interview concerning the fact that putting aside anger and grudges is good for one's physical health. I really believe that we could have a much happier 2008 if we would set aside our grudges, our perceived slights from others, etc. and MOVED ON. Many, many years ago a friend, who had been my roommate for several years, came to me in tears. She was to give a church lesson on forgiveness and felt that she had to ask my forgiveness before she could give the lesson. She sobbed uncontrollably, but she never did tell me what she had done for which I should forgive her! I forgave her, of course, but I still don't know of what I forgave her. The experience taught me an important lesson about moving on. I've tried to practice this principle ever since. However, I've seen so many stories recently on the news of the sad, sad results of not being able to forgive and move on. Let us not find ourselves in that position!! So, here's to moving on in 2008. Love and hugs. Mom



No comments: