Tuesday, December 18, 2007

THE GIVING OF A GIFT




The magical weekend lingers only in my memory!! I've flown over the Grand Canyon with my daughter, seen the "Nutcracker," ridden in a mini-Cooper with the top down, walked through the lighted grounds of the Mesa temple, and been treated to a concert of "Mary Had a Little Lamb." Plus, I have slept like a queen in a bed which has a remote to lift the head or foot of the bed, a remote to turn on the tv, a remote to control the lights, an anti-smog mirror in the shower, but no magic snapping finger to make the bed! Seen Heather's "private, secret 'things,'" been privy to TJ's "important" secret--that there is no Santa Claus, and re-discovered Toby's lost Baby who had found his way under the bed. A wondrous weekend. There is always within one special gift--many myriads of other gifts! The gift of a wonderful weekend was special, but even more special was the gift of my daughter!! What a priceless treasure to peek in on her sleeping once more in the room she had as a tiny baby, watch her eyes light up
when she saw the snow on the sun deck, experience her tender solicitiousness of me as we searched for the car, observe her whispered explanation of the pantomimes to her five year of the Nutcracker, and on and on and on--the gift of her sweet spirit and loving kindness. How we must give thanks for the tender mercies of the Father in our behalf!!

It is always fun to see the little dittoes in the children of your children. Susan was so solicitous and sweet all weekend, and Heather was half-a-step behind. This summer, I took some of the grandchildren to see "Ratatouille," which I found disgusting--not even Walt Disney can make rats cute for me. When the Rat Army came on stage, Heather told me, "Don't worry, Grandma, the soldiers will take care of the rats." Wisdom from a five year old. Blessed day to all. Basking in memory. Mom

2 comments:

Susan said...

I'm glad you had fun, Mom. We loved having you. Every time Heather sees a plane now, she asks, "Is that Grandma Kennedy's plane?" I think she misses you :)

Cire said...

Glad you had fun - sorry I had to drop and run at the airport, always a hurried pace there - Toby likes talking about his Grandma Candy! Oh, and Susan had a great time, thanks for being a wonderful mom and grandma!