Thursday, December 6, 2007

OF PRESENTS, BANNERS, AND TECHNO











I wonder what I'm going to write my blogs about once Christmas is over!! Life has been busy and filled with reminiscing and renewing.
Christmas preparation has now moved into the decorating phase. Remember all those bins on the back porch?? Now they're in the living room and family room, waiting to be emptied. As I opened one bin, which has been outside and sealed up since June, a little moth flew into my face. I'll bet he was glad to get out of that little coffin. We were a little Ho-hum about the decorations, thinking that no one would see them but us, but we now have a little blonde-headed visitor, Kobe, coming tomorrow night, so it seemed imperative to get, at least, the village set up. I've created one new decoration to fill an empty corner in the living room, as you can see by the picture--three banners to hang in the corner. We'll see. If the project to hang them from the ceiling, in the corner, goes as some have recently, we may have some fun!!
Can you believe how techno Dad has become?? He's using the computer, talking on the phone, and he's discussing his online BillPlayer account! Dad says I'm taking far too many pictures of him for these blogs, but doesn't he look great?? How can I resist? Speaking of techno, our bridge transponder has become quite the source of gritted teeth. The transponder is a sticker with a bar code on it which is read by a machine which then orders the barrier to come up. We have two vehicles, and I was the one who made the maiden voyage through the Breezeby. We were told to practice with the sticker before sticking it to your windshield, so I drove to the barrier with sticker in hand, and my mouth open to start my explanation. To my total astonishment, the barrier went up, and there was no one in the booth to give my explanation. I felt a little guilty, thinking I was getting through without paying, when Dad explained that the machine had read my transponder in my hand. Okay, so I should tape--at least smart enough not to stick--the transponder on the left side of the windshield in the corner. Nope, didn't work. "Supposed to be under your rearview mirror" from Bridge Guy. Stick it under my rearview mirror--Nope, doesn't work. "Ma'm, it has to be below that little black grid under your rearview mirror!" FINALLY!
Our classes for the semester end tonight. In the class picture, the girl on the far left, Alisi, enters the MTC on January 17 for her mission to Argentina. The girl on the right with the logo on her sweatshirt turns in her paper for a mission on Sunday. The Oriental girl on the left side of the picture was baptised on Saturday. They're such a fun group. It's always fun. The re-headed young man on right is a recovering alcoholic/addict who has also recovered his deep, deep spiritually and is a wonderful contributor to class discussions.
On a final note...yesterday, I received one of those presents which take your breath away and remind you how much you are loved. One gift had already come, Steve and Kobe will be coming for a visit tomorrow to spend a few days with us. Then, Susan called. She wanted to discuss my Christmas gift--would I join Susan and little Heather in attending a performance of "The Nutcracker in Mesa on the 15th? Now, you must understand that many years ago, I took Susan to the "Nutcracker" for her birthday, and we've attended several performances over the years. But...money's tight for us right now, no way could I afford a ticket. No...no...no. I didn't understand. Eric had thought about getting Susan an expensive piece of jewelry for her birthday but thought she would enjoy more coming to visit Mom and Dad all by herself and to bring Mom back to Mesa for a few days. (Dad could come too, but we all know how he feels about girlie stuff.) All of this would by Eric's generosity and careful budgeting. Then, later the same day, Darla and I had been manuvering and finagling to see if there was any way we could get cheap plane tickets, so they could come for Christmas. It was a tearful process, since we're both broke...no way. Vale and Darla have never spent a Christmas at home alone, but there seemed no way to work a trip in and pay for all of the car repairs our Altima needs. To the rescue comes Herb, Darla's boyfriend. He's a man who's devoted and caring to his mother, and he insisted that Darla make her reservations, and she'll find the tickets in her stocking!! President Eyring in his Theory of Gift Giving and Gift Receiving states: Well, there it is--a simple theory. When you're on the receiving end, you will discover three things in great gift givers: (1) they felt what you felt and were touched, (2) they gave freely, and (3) they counted sacrifice a bargain." Aren't Steve, Eric, and Herb great gift-givers? Hopefully, their acts will be an inspiration for me. Cheers, Mom

3 comments:

Gwen Mangelson said...

I love reading your posts. Thank you for including me. As a mother with boys in Glenwood and Sunnyside, the only gift they could give that I would cherish would be a visit here or tickets to come out for a couple weeks.
Morgan is getting married in June so I am frantically saving up for that, Ray has a little boy that is now 7 months old that I have not seen yet and I am very depressed about that. I never dreamed when I started having grandkids that I would live so far away that I would either not be able to see them at all or not be a constant part of their lives.
hugs! Gwen

Your favorite sister said...

I am so happy that you are going to have grandkids around for Christmas. I know how much it means to you. Love you Mom.

Cire said...

It was the pics on your blog of the snow and the Christmas village that motivated me to get Susan there to see it in person and for you to be able to have someone to see it and to come back with her and enjoy her favorite tradition together.

This way I get credit for sending Susan to Washington by herself, but I don't have to suffer for more than 1 day without her; plus, I don't feel so guilty for not going to the Nutcracker with her :) Hopefully Grandpa will be ok on his own!

Oh - as a bonus for Susan, she doesn't have to do the Salvtion Army bell ringing in front of Walmart that I signed our family up for at church!