Wednesday, February 27, 2008

TENDER MERCIES



The psalmist praises: Great are thy tender mercies, O Lord, and, although I recognize that he has reference to the larger concepts of repentance and the Atonement, I've always associated tender mercies with those small moments in my life which reaffirm God's intimate and infinite love for me. This week has been filled with such mercies.

Last Sunday, as we drove to Portland to fulfill some of our mission assignments, we discussed the fact that our mission is halfway over. We wondered what we'd accomplished in six months, and if we could accomplish much in the next six months. Sacrament Meeting was a missionary meeting. Tongan meetings are nothing if not spiritually uplifting!! A tall, lanky Tongan boy spoke of his mini-mission with reverence; a counselor wept as he admonished parents to support their missionaries; a mixed quartet sent songs of praise to the heavens that melted one's heart. Then, one of our students, Ake, gave her mission farewell speech. She will serve in Chicago. Since she has been an irregular attendee at our classes, imagine our surpise when she said, "I want the Kennedys to know how much I love them and how much they taught me at Institute." After the meeting, she said good-bye with beautiful leis and a kiss on each cheek!



Another sweet mercy has been the condo in our front yard. Tom created a little bird condo in the front yard and spread bird seed in every nook and cranny. This, coupled with the bungee cord corn feeder, has brought birds--sparrows, blue jays, etc. to our front yard. The squirrels and the birds have formed a peaceful co-existence at the condo and the feeder, so that they can reap the harvest!! Birds, squirrels, raccoons, and deer have strolled through the yard. Even a cat or two. One can't look out the front windows without a smile!




Still another is the sweet email we received:



Brother and Sister Kennedy,

I got your email from a message you sent to the La Jolla ward recently.

You may not remember me well, but I attended your institute class a few times at the PB building in San Diego on the book of Revelations.

For one of the classes I attended, for some reason I had a feeling I should be there one of the nights and I remember saying a prayer that Heavenly Father would help me get there. Things were kind of crazy in my life at the time and things kept keeping me from being able to attend your class. Anyway, I made it that night and we were paired up with a partner to study and comment on some of the scriptures. You paired me up with Sam Whitt. When you paired me up with him I remember you saying, “Sam you should get to know this girl.”

Needless to say, he took it to heart. We’re now engaged and getting married in the San Diego Temple in May! So, I just want to say thank you for being the instrument to helping me meet my future husband and the sweetest, most accomplished and amazing man I have ever met. J

Attached is a picture of us to refresh your memory.

Thanks!
Erin Anderson (future Sister Whitt—YAY!)


At the top of the blog is the message that greeted us when we came into our classroom Thursday evening. Heavenly Father certainly sent us many tender messages in His sweet mercy to reaffirm that, though we're tired, bedraggled and poor servants, we are loved and thanked. I hope that you, too, have seen His tender mercies in your daily walks with Him. Mom









































No comments: