Saturday, March 22, 2008

EASTER MEMORIES

























The wind was a slashing cold gust across my face as I strolled through the Wal-mart parking lot. Shivering, I noted a knot of parents and children clustered in a small group near the garden center. Little ones were dressed in their Easter finery and clutched Easter baskets were shivering and whining. It was the Wal-mart Annual Easter Egg Hunt. That scene brought countless memories of Easters in my past. Easter has come very early this year, according to Martha Stewart, because of the early spring equinox and full moon and won't be so early again until 2285. I can't remember that it was ever so early of course, but I do remember cold, cold Easters!! My mother loved Easter, although it wasn't really a religious celebration in our home. There was usually a requisite Easter Sunday picnic complete with potato salad and ham and cold spring breezes. Mother always made us new dresses and faithfully played the Easter bunny. (If you're asking which one is me in these pictures, I haven't a clue!!)
It wasn't until I became a Christian that Easter took on the aspects of a religious celebration, and the Easter bunny, eggs, ham, etc. took a back seat. As I lay in bed thinking about my feelings concerning Christ and His atonement and the resurrection, I find that they have mellowed over the years. March is never an easy month for me; two significant people in my life died during this month--my brother, Joe, and my daughter, Annie. In each case, I had profound experiences, whispered good-byes from each of them after their souls had left this earth, that testify to me that there is, indeed, a life after this one. I've thought about my own relationship with Christ and wonder what words I could use to explain my very personal bonding to Him to another human being, and I find that I cannot. My vocabulary isn't sufficient to describe it. Suffice it to say, that in my inner life, my soul's depth, I am at peace because I've turned my life to Him. I've finally, at 65, given to Him the only true gift that I have to give--my own will. That is not to say that life is always easy, and I am not still an unworthy servant; it is to say that I am at peace.
I am so grateful that, as a family, we chose to celebrate Easter as both a religious holiday and a celebration of Spring and eggs, etc. The memories are sweet and comforting. Happy Easter from Mom who's celebrating her only salute to Easter traditions--a Cadbury egg.

2 comments:

Susan said...

Happy Easter, Mom & Dad. It's hard to imagine a cold Easter - it's always so hot here this time of year that we make sure not to put chocolate in eggs that are being hunted outside!

Thanks for your thoughts on this holiday. I'll call you tonight.

Cire said...

Hope you enjoyed the cadbury egg! I just realized I failed to get one for Susan . . . Easter was just too early this year. Thank you for the thoughts and peek into your soul . . .