Wednesday, October 8, 2008

BEADS, BIRTHDAYS, AND BLESSINGS UNNUMBERED




Fall is showing her multi-faceted face once again. The beauty of the season is has brought much-needed and welcomed rain. Just as we despaired over our slowly dying rhododendrons which have suffered from the water problems in the area, the pounding rain of the last fews day has revived them. Dad has stacked wood all around the yard, and we've even had a fire or two. One of the most busy stores I've been to isn't the grocery store or Walmart filled with shoppers re-stocking their dwindling larders for the cold winter months, it's the quilt and fabric shows!! Quilters know that those blissfully long days of winter mean many opportunities to quilt or sew some "treasure" for their famililes. I recently took a quilt beading class and promised the instructor that I would practice my newly learned skills at home. I had made cross-stitched welcome signs for two different newlywed couples from our LaJolla days, so I practiced on them. For the blue and white sampler, I did my usual beading--conservative, in the lines kind of thing. For the other one, I'd cross-stitched seashells, dolphins, sandy beaches, ocean waves and palm trees on a welcome sign to welcome visitors to their college apartment in San Diego, which they call the Thack Shack. Hmmm...by the time I finished everything but the lettering was a beaded wonder. When I showed the finished product to Dad, he just smiled. I asked if it was tacky or bling, and he wisely just smiled again and said, "It's nice!!


We have two birthdays in the family this month. Darla turns 30 something tomorrow. She says she's doing well-- involved in a big project at work which keeps her hopping. Kahlil turns four for his birthday, and he requested a parade of bikes, strollers, etc. to the local school lot to play a baseball game. In this day and age of theme parties, I thought that was clever and creative.

Dad and I have been sobered by the health problems that Uncle Garth is experiencing. He is back in the hospital because his heart hasn't been functioning as well as it should . He'll probably have a pacemaker implanted this morning. Aging is certainly not for sissies. Almost overnight, Grandma Kennedy lost all of her hearing in one ear, and all the wonderful news I mentioned about family history in my last blog, I've had to tell her about again--her memory is faulty. I admire the courage of those who are aging and coping with the physical losses of old age. It's difficult to be graceful when you're struggling, but our family members are doing so. We are blessed beyond measure--an autumn that is breath-taking, family prayers together praying for our loved ones, the rich companionship of each other, and each of you to buoy us up. We love you. Happy burrowing in for the winter ahead. Love, Mom
“Do not pray for tasks equal to your abilities but pray for abilities equal to your tasks.Then the performance of your tasks will be no miracle but you will be the miracle.” Thomas S. Monson



















2 comments:

Laurel said...

I will keep your sister and her husband in my prayers. Good health gains in importance as we grow older.

Susan said...

I love all the beading - I like the bling! I'm glad you guys are "burrowing in" - that sounds nice and cozy. It's still hot here. In fact, we spent the afternoon swimming and jetskiing at the lake to cool off! Happy Birthday to Darla and Khalil. October is such a fun month.