Tuesday, November 4, 2008

QUIRKS, AUTUMN'S SPLENDOR, BIRTHDAYS

Yesterday was an historic day--an African American has been elected President of the United States! Not only is he black, he is biracial, a child of a single parent, inexperienced, and controversial. Having lived through the racial tensions of the 60's and in a town dividing the "black" side of town from the "white" with a tunnel, I see this as an affirmation that our world is becoming color blind. I don't agree with Obama's politics; I didn't vote for him, but I see this as a singular moment in history, and I am gratified to witness this time. Let's see if he can keep his promises!!
Autumn is leaving only reluctantly this year. Heavy rains and stormy winds have begun to pelt the Pacific Northwest, but Autumn is having a hard time turning off her spectacular display!! It's as though, in the midst of economic crisis, tensions, war, conflicts, and turmoil, Mother Nature is proudly saying, "Don't despair!! There is beauty, hope, and love. See it here in God's handiwork." The pictures are of Dock Grade, our driveway, a shed near Agate Road in Shelton, and Panther Creek where Dad gets his rock.






November is one of the months of several Kennedy birthdays--Kevin, Jennifer, Toby, TJ, Tobin, and Carter are all November babies. How we love them!!








Aunt Joan (guntersgabbings.blogspot.com) has tagged me for a listing of six quirks about myself. If you read her blog, I can easily just say DITTO to her quirks and be done with it. However, I couldn't resist, and we do have some differences in spite of shared DNA. So, here goes:
1. I must have a project to work on!! When I am traveling, the largest bag I bring is my sewing bag with my current project and an "extra" in case I finish my current project. Right now, I'm working on: a xstitch sampler of the Nauvoo Temple for Aunt Joan, a beading/quilting quilt for Harmony Lynn, some beaded %$#@ for Christmas gifts, and I'm gathering yarn for an elaborate Kennedy family crest xstitched sampler. Plus, there's a wedding invitation begging for a handmade gift, a baby gift needed for a couple we worked with in LaJolla, and a new granddaughter coming some time soon.
2. I have some really gross hinky toenails!! They are the result of fungal infections that have withstood strong medication, removal of the nails, etc., etc. Since I never go barefoot or wear open-toed shoes, no one knows that these little gems are there
3. I am an incurable early morning riser. It began in the early years of child-rearing when I got up at all hours with babies. Once I'd rocked the baby to sleep, I was wide awake, so I began sewing or reading, enjoying a time in the day when I was answerable only to myself until I felt sleepy. Since I'm now retired, I've tried hard to break the habit, but to no avail. Of course, an early, early am arising, requires an afternoon nap--another quirk I've not been able to break!

4. I refuse to go into some of the mini-marts that populate the highways and byways of America to get my soda. I send Dad. Especially in the smaller mini-marts, somewhere in the store, leaning on display cases, perched on cars in the parking lot, or lolling on benches or tables are the "good old boys" of the community. In one mini-mart in White Salmon, it's the former high school athletes who've gone to pot and are reliving their glory days; in the other, it's the hunters and fishermen buying their licenses, reliving the one who got away. I feel like I'm invading sacred territory!!

5. I also refuse to exchange anything!! I think this quirk harks back to the days when one had to carefully explain WHY he was exchanging and beg a clerk to take the item back. More often than not, your reason was not adequate, your begging went unappreciated, no money came back, and you were stuck with your unwanted treasure.

6. Lately, I panic when your dad is gone for any length of time. You would think that since we're retired and spend 24 hours a day together, I might long for some time all to myself. However, when Dad is off getting wood, rocks, or other equally important absences, almost as soon as he's out the door, I begin to count the hours until he returns. We're best friends, lovers, soul mates after all.

Grief can take care of itself, but to get the full value of a joy you must have somebody to divide it with." - Mark Twain

Life is beautiful and fun. Hope all is well. Let us hear from you. Love, Mom


3 comments:

Susan said...

Wow - those colors are amazing. Your pictures really make me miss Washington and the beauty of this season. Here, it's still brown and hot. Ick. At least I can enjoy your gorgeous photos :)

Tobin said...

those pictures are great and it was interesting to see the reference to where we used to live! Thanks for remembering our birthdays. Eric and I got a kick out of your list of quirks, those are some good ones!

Your favorite sister said...

I love the photos also! They make me so homesick! We are getting ready for something other than 90 degrees and palm trees! :)

Boy there are a lot of November birthdays!