Sunday, November 30, 2008

TABBIES, TURKEYS, AND SANTA RUNS

The Thanksgiving Day weekend is slipping away, just like the one last, carefully hoarded piece of banana cream pie slipped off its plate and landed, kerplunk, in the garbage while I was searching for a fork!!
Although we received several invitations for dinner at friends' houses, we opted to have a special meal at a nice restaurant. We were, however, feeling a bit nostalgic when the day dawned, so...we sought to have an adventure rather than stay home. Aha...our first adventure was spotting those wild turkeys strolling along the road!! They strutted their stuff for the photo op, knowing full well they were in no danger from us!!
We also spotted this wonderfully huge bird's nest in one of our oak trees. At first, we thought it may have been an old nest that we'd just never noticed, but our resident bird flock flew in and out while we watched!! Beautiful sight. There are families of all types!!
We'd seen on a tv commercial that some stores were open on Thanksgiving Day. Who knew?? We had fun wandering through some of the local stores and buying gifts. We pondered over what to buy for each other and decided that what we really wanted as a gift was a quick trip to Arizona, California, and Utah to play Santa for family members!! I even convinced Dad to brave the Black Friday crowds, so I could get some items at JoAnn's Fabrics!!

We did have a luxurious dinner at the Hood River Inn. In the first picture, you're looking west at the bridge.
Here you're looking east at SDS Lumber and the Bingen Marina.

The Inn was crowded, nicely decorated, but, alas...no leftovers!!

One of my former students sold me a couple of GREAT DEALS at Home Depot. Since I worked so hard to teach many of my special students good work skills, I couldn't resist succumbing to Jesse's pleadings--stocking stuffers and $1 poinsettias.


Now I'm preparing for the Santa Run. We'll contact those of you involved of our itinerary as soon as we know what it is. Lots of fun. I have "stuff" everywhere. Dad started hauling in the Christmas bins. These are but a few.

All is well here. The weather is almost balmy. I noticed in my journal from last year that we had our first snow on November 18, but, there's no snow in sight and none predicted!! We're healthy and happy and THANKFUL. Hope you are too. Love, Mom
"Grace is God's acceptance of me. Faith is my acceptance of God's acceptance of me. Peace is my acceptance of me." Robert Millett

1 comment:

Your favorite sister said...

What about a quick trip to Guam? :) I am sure Santa will need some warming up by then! :)