Tuesday, June 30, 2009

RIDING OUT THE STORM















There are many kinds of storms, and, at this day and time, I'm riding out a few of them. None are serious--just adjustments to a different life style--temporary at best--here in Guam as we await the birth of Mason.

The first storm is potty training. As you'll notice in these pictures, Ivan, Marie's youngest, is usually dressed in a t-shirt and pullups because we are potty training!! Since I potty-trained five children, I assumed that I could manage that task for Marie with Ivan, who is developmentally delayed. My oh my...cut my tongue out. I've been getting my daily exercise by chasing Ivan all over the house, attempting to get him on the "potty train." His reward for toileting properly is "potty candy." An oxymoron if I've ever heard one. Our conversations in the bathroom have been, if nothing else, hilarious!
Me: Ivan, I'd like you to potty in the toilet just like your big brothers.
Ivan: My big brothers can shoot droids, and I can shoot the droids....as he flushes the toilet several times, tips over the toothbrush holder, and plays with the bathtub toys...but no job done. I am, however, determined. I am also attempting to potty train to the dog who loves nothing better than to do his morning business in the boys' room. This too has been my daily aerobic exercise and my voice exercises..."Close your door!! Astro's headed for the bedroom!!" "Boys, run back and close your bedroom door--now!" And so it goes.
The next storm is the air conditioning. It is so hot and humid here that the a/c runs all the time. Thus, the pictures of children in shorts, wrapped in blankets. For those wondering about the rainbow blanket, it is already a much-used accessory. This particular storm, the blanket brigade, is accompanied by storms of: "Clean your place at the lunch table, have you done your morning chores, I know you don't want to (fill in the blank), but your mother wants you to (fill in the blank.)" These constant tirades remind me constantly of my days as a young mother with young children.
The third storm has to do with living in the tropics. Every day there is a brief tropical storm accompanied by constant heat, so the wonderful play area which is mere feet from Marie's back door remains empty most of the day. Summer vacation in Guam is similar to winter vacation in colder climates. Cooped up--cramped area--not enough to do. "I'm bored," they say to which I reply, "Shall I find you something to do?" "I'm hungry," they complain. "I've watched all these movies, video games, computer games, etc.," and it's only June!!
I'm truly not complaining. I love my Marie with her bubbly optimism, wonderful, funny mothering, and our projects. Ben is strong and silent--a true patriarch to his family. The kids are kids--funny and funky. Tom is at home working far too hard and keeping Vale entertained, and we both agree that we're lonesome but not alone....There is always a rainbow at the end of the storm. Love from Guam--where America's day begins. Mom

No comments: