Sunday, September 9, 2012

Living in La La Land

 

               Our little valley is experiencing one of the worst wildfires in our history. We're used to wildfires but not like the one that is raging now. Over 400+ residents of the White Salmon area are under possible evacuation orders; some refuse to leave and are attempting to save homes and ranches that have been in their families for generations. Over 600 firemen from around the state are battling the blaze, which is believed to be arson-related. Today, Sunday, a second huge fire was started by a lightning strike, and campers and hikers are being evacuated from Mt. Adams. All of this excitement is about 5 miles as the crow flies from our home. Those of us in town are experiencing the heavily smoke-filled air, hearing the occasional siren, and listening at the post office and grocery store to our neighbors' war stories. But, we live in La La Land. We aren't in the fire's path and aren't really able to help with the physical labor that fighting a fire requires. School is still in session, and all businesses are open!! So strange.
 
 
 
 





 

Every day life goes on in La La Land.  A few weeks ago,  I watched the Peresiad Meteor Shower over Mt. Hood, all by myself, in my nightgown on my deck.  The guys in my house were Bah humbugs about the whole thing.  For me, that evening of star gazing was an affirmation of all that is great, mysterious and awesome in the vast universe.
 

Bingen still held its annual Huckleberry Festival in spite of or maybe because of.. the chaotic times.  Vale marched in the parade which had, perhaps, ten units.  Dad worked on the pergola, and I completed the two couch covers.  We all just kept on keeping on..and praying for the safety of the houses, animals, firefighters, and residents who were locked into a desperate struggle just a few miles from us.  It was all we could do.    Keep your chin up and keep on keeping on.  Love, Mom
 
“I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!” -Dr. Seuss

No comments: