Sunday, November 18, 2007

OHIO STARS AND FIRST SNOW




I hadn't planned to write another blog so soon, and don't expect it to be a trend!! But...my heart is so full of reminiscing and musing that I thought I might as well write while I'm in the mood.
Today, when we attended the Tongan Ward, we sat in front of a man who had the most fantastic voice. There are no words to describe what the music experience is in this ward called the Rose City Ward. Everyone, large and small, sings--in their parts--in strong, beautiful voices. It sends shivers up and down my spine. I can never sing, not so much because I can't read the words because I know the English equivalent, but because I have a huge lump in my throat. This man stumbled through the hymns sung in English, but he had the voice of an angel for the Tongan hymns!! I felt that I had experienced the "tender mercies" which are described in this verse: "But behold, I, Nephi, will show unto you that the tender mercies of the Lord are over all those whom he hath chosen, because of their faith, to make them mighty even unto the power of deliverance" (1 Nephi 1:20). I felt "delivered," reminded of my deep love for the Savior for me!! It was not enough that I would experience one tender mercy but I was given two!! Our new Sunday School teacher is Brother Kalamafoni, who is the patriarch of a large family and large extended family. People joke that everyone in the Rose City Ward is related to the Kalamafonis. Most of the single adults who are supposed to be in class, especially the young men, hang out in the hallway and are often late for class. Not today!! Uncle Freddy had the hall cleared out in two minutes. All the young men stayed in their seats and read from their scriptures when he asked. Brother Kalamafoni gave a lesson on the events in the Garden of Gethsemane which was, once again, awe inspiring. He was articulate, well-prepared, and very humbled as he explained to his family his concept of the Atonement. I felt priviliged to be in his presence.
The tender mercies of the Lord come one after another lately--when one is sensitive enough to look for them.
Today we saw our first snow in a long, long time!! California has many wonderful features, but snow isn't one of them. We were driving home in the driving rain when we noticed that the closer we got to home, the more snow was mixed into the rain. There was a skiff of snow on our rock wall once we arrived at the house. In my mind's eye, I could just hear little Kennedy kids beginning to speculate: "Will there be school tomorrow?? Can we go find our hats and gloves?? So fun!
You can see the picture above of Dad in his rain gear. I don't know whether you can tell by the picture, but he's become quite a cut-up!! Not only that, but he's become quite handsome as well. His wrinkles are along his smile lines and his eyes! He's witty and funny and quite a wit. I tease him that all the ladies flirt with him, and he says with a wink, "They do?"
I'm working on Christmas gifts as is usual for me this time of year. Above is the Christmas table runner I'm currently working on.
All is well here. Love to All Mom

2 comments:

Cire said...

Grandpa looks like Caillou! Check out the pic on my blog for a comparison . . .

Gwen Mangelson said...

Oh, what great photos and information!
I so miss the snow!!
here in Missouri they get a skiff and they think they are dying! (southern Missouri) we do have a lot of ice tho- but not the same!
throw some snowballs for me!
love you
Gwen