Wednesday, November 21, 2007

PRESIDENT BUSH PARDONED THE TURKEY...




He pardoned the turkey and set him free. Although the little episode on tv was pretty funny, it did set my mind to thinking. I thought back to an experience I had a number in 1996 or 97 about this time of year. My mother had had eye surgery and needed us girls to care for her. I remember packing LOTS of projects for Christmas because Mother's recovery required that she sit all day long with her head down to allow her eye to heal. I should have had a clue when I arrived, because Joan, who had spent the first week with Mother, suggested that we go to breakfast immediately if not sooner!! She confessed that she'd had a horrible, horrible week with Mother, and she couldn't wait to get home. I thought Joan was exaggerating, but.... I spent one week listening to Mother tell me story after story after story about those people she didn't like, held grudges towards as she chain smoked. To be fair to Mother, she had a difficult, difficult life, and some of her anger and resentment was probably justified, but, she was now 75, and the family members she talked about had been dead for many years. I think she also may have known that she had COPD and was dying. She talked about things we children had done, clerks in stores who had been rude to her, her sisters who called her silly childhood names and "stitched tiny quilting stitches" just to spite her. For six days, I listened, and I decided that the only person for whom she didn't hold a grudge was my dear, sweet husband. At the last, she was spent; she had released all the rage, resentment, and grudges she had held for many years, and she sent me home. The last years of her life were lived, I think, in relative peace of mind and spirit. I remembered this incident as I watched President Bush pardon the turkey and send him on his way. It seems to me that Thanksgiving is a wonderful time to pardon those whom we feel have wronged us. To shrug off the angers, resentments, hurts, and grudges that are weighing us down. Although some grudges and resentment may take us years and a firm faith in the strength of the Atonement, we could begin the journey on this holiday. To set such people free in our mind is to set our mind and spirit free. Just a thought.....

I thought all of you would enjoy a picture of our first Christmas dinner. We were in a rented house in Bremerton, and the whole family gathered at our house. You'll recognize Grandma and Grandpa Kennedy and Grandpa Whitby. On Grandma's right is Grandpa Johnny, and on Grandpa Whitby's left is his brother, Uncle Jack--the one who baked the biscuits for McDonald's when he was in his 80's. Various cousins are at this table as well. Notice the Kennedy coat of arms on the wall. Right between Grandpa Kennedy and Grandpa Whitby, you can see a red candle. The candle was part of a huge Christmas centerpiece that Dad had sent to me at school, "so that everyone at school would know that you are loved." Indeed I am.
May Thanksgiving be a time for rendering thanks and for forgiveness and for the freeing ourselves of burdens. Love, Mom


2 comments:

Your favorite sister said...

What a great message Mom. Sometimes it is hard to let those feelings go. Thank you for your thoughts. Love you.

Susan said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Mom & Dad. I wish you guys were here to celebrate with us.

Thanks for your wonderful message, and the picture. Is that you in the red dress?