Tuesday, April 29, 2008

A LESSON LEARNED

Dad held down the fort and finished up our class at the University of Portland.
Dad was the ever-present source of strength, comfort, and love through all of this!!

Emmilie, Tasha, Shane and Brother G brought a wonderful ray of sunshine to my Portland Hospital stay.


I couldn't fit all of the flowers into the picture, but they were absolutely wonderful.



With hours of time, staring me in the face, I got brave enough to bring TJ's quilt along with me. It proved to be a good conversation piece and a great comfort to pass my alone time. Many of the staff members shared "Grandma's quilt" memories with me. One nurse came in in a panic because my machine kept beeping. She laughed when she saw me quilting and realized that the beeping was caused because I was using my finger to sew!


I sat down to write this blog and realized how contented I am to be home!! I woke up very early and have retreated to my favorite little nest--my sewing room. Already, my day has had a better start that the past week has had. I'm out of the hospital; my pneumonia almost gone; waiting for my gall bladder to "cool down," so it can be removed. I spend an hour doing research on gall bladder disease and am appalled at how much damage I've done to my body in the past few years. I am going to try to follow the wise counsel I've collected and will say no more about my own stupidity.


I was so reminded, once again, of the sweet and tender mercies of the Lord, and the wonderful lessons learned from small experiences. Throughout this past week, it seemed that each time I reached the depths of despair, I was rescued by some small experience. Monday evening when I was in the throes of a gall bladder attack, my sweetheart was visiting his mom, and I felt very, very alone!! I was, though, reminded in the depths of my despair that I was not alone--ever. I remembered to call on my Father in Heaven for comfort and received comfort and strength immediately. I spent the next couple of days in the local hospital in White Salmon and certainly took a walk down memory lane. Each time I felt that pain, I made myself remember!! Fun reminiscences about the birth of our five babies in this hospital; a thirty-year old memory of a panicky Tom trying to open the emergency room door--his eyes huge--when Susan was born. Another of a man's huge hand as he tenderly tried to get a needle into the arm of a very, very ill baby Marie. Another of holding Annie for the last time, as a nurse silently wept. My favorite words became, "Hi Mom," as I received phone call after phone call from each of you. My ambulance ride brought another new perspective. It's the first time I've been looking east while the vehicle is moving west through a rain soaked Gorge. In the huge campus of Legacy Emanuel Hospital, I developed a great fondness for the people who helped me!! One sweet technician and I had a discussion about windsurfing, etc. He had never been to the Gorge, and, as I extoled its watery virtues, he said, "Lady, I'm from North Carolina; I never go near the water!!" Everyone seemed sooo young and sooo capable and in pajamas. On one particular day when I was feeling old, out of sorts, etc., Tom was visiting and explained that he had tried everything he could to dissuade Brother Gubelin from visiting to no avail. Sure enough, here he came with three of our students bringing flowers, a card, dinner for Tom, and a sweet song and prayer! How could I stay in my funk long? One event was particularly charming. The fellow who delivered meals was a Hawaiian in bright floral shirts. He spent the morning meal ordering me around: "Tell the nurse you need a table right here; You need helps you get that nurse in here, etc." By the second meal, I was a bit nauseated because I'd gone six days with no food by mouth, and, although there was a beautiful--in delivery and color--piece of pie, I just couldn't force my protesting stomach to get it down. I left the pie and fell into a deep sleep. When I awoke a few hours later, I was surprised to see the piece of pie still on my table!! Tender mercies. All is now over for a while, so I will enjoy the six weeks I have off and remember that I have received another reminder that I am loved, accepted, and okay.




2 comments:

Susan said...

I'm glad you're feeling better, Mom! I'm sure it's much more comfortable to be home than at the hospital. Love you!

Your favorite sister said...

I am just so happy that you are now home. I can't wait to come and see you this summer. Hopefully I will be of some help while you are recuperating from the surgery.

Love yah