Thursday, September 4, 2008

ISN'T IT CALLED THE DOG DAYS OF SUMMER??




I am convinced that we're in the final throes of summer, but it seems so early. I can remember so many Septembers of starting school--wearing, of course, our Fallish new school clothes--sweating in the heat!! Yet, this year, our mornings are already chilly; the golden leaves are beginning to dot the front lawn, and we've turned off the air conditioner.
We've had a visit from our good friends, Dave and Elsie Thomas, with whom we served as missionaries in San Diego. Elsie is notching off items on her Bucket List. She had visited 48 states and wanted to complete her list by visiting Washington and Alaska. So, on their way to Alaska, they spent a night with us. I've admired Elsie for as long as I've known her. She suffers from muscular dystrophy, and any undertaking is physically tasking for Elsie. I've never heard Elsie complain about her condition; she is always cheerful and kind. It makes me remember that I, who am so overwhelming the recipient of God's most tender mercies, have no right to utter a complaint when I see Elsie struggle so hard to walk down the stairs in our living room. Dave is no wit behind as he serves Elsie and his family. Plus, we have fun together and lots of laughs. The Thomases left last Sunday to check off another bucket list item--their long dreamed of cruise to Alaska.
We said good-bye to Vale as well. The poor kid was climbing the walls by the time he left. One can only entertain himself for so long! He told me that he must be very sick because he missed school!!!
Dad's sun deck is amazing. I asked him how he knows how to build a sun deck. He just shrugged and said, "I look at what the original builders did and copy their work." I asked him if there was anything I could do to help him, and his response was, "That's like you asking me if I could help you quilt!!" Check out the picture of Dad's handiwork.
Today I was walking around the marina in Bingen, and I gasped at the scene all around me. The Gorge is incredibly beautiful, and I was overwhelmed by its awesome splendor this morning. Way off in the distance, I could see the chapel of the Catholic Church in White Salmon. So inspiring.
Aunt Joan heard a wonderful story from one of her fellow temple workers. The lady was babysitting her little four-year old grandson. She was absolutely worn out after having cared for the energetic little boy for several days. Finally, she said, "You know what, Josh? You just get old and you die." The next day, she got a phone call and heard a teary little voice asking, "Grandma, you're not dead yet are you??"
Grandma and Grandpa aren't dead yet. We're having a great time. We hope you can keep up!! Love to all, Mom

1 comment:

Your favorite sister said...

You know, every time Ben builds something, he sketches it out, and goes and buys the wood etc. But I am always curious as to how he knows it will all work together! :) He always does but...

Glad you are doing well. I am sorry I havne't called forever. Life has been crazy. I have a welcome coffee today so I will be gone all afternoon but I will try in the morning! love you