Wednesday, January 21, 2009

WHAT CAN ONE WRITE ABOUT ON A COLD JANUARY DAY?


One could write about grandbabies. Here's a funny picture of Miss Julianna at about 3am when she was supposed to be ASLEEP for Grandma. I exaggerate--it was nearly midnight, but it felt like 3am to this old lady. I had a wonderful vacation at Susan's with their family. I missed many Kodak moments because I couldn't get off the couch with Julianna and find my camera fast enough. I also had a dress rehearsal for traveling by myself, and I did great. I think I can handle my trip to Guam, but, if anyone has some advice for traveling by myself and for what to bring along, feel free to let me know.
Or one could write about missing an important birthday for January. Our Ann Margaret was born in January; in fact, on this day in 1981. She would be celebrating her 28th birthday. We have only one tiny picture of Annie which can't be copied very well because Grandma W. used a camera with tiny negatives. This lack is a real lesson for all of us. TAKE PICTURES! Cameras and, particularly, film is cheap nowadays, and pictures of loved ones are priceless.
Another opportunity for a cold January day entry is Dad's love for his critters--birds, squirrels, quails...I tried to get some pictures this morning as he faithfully filled the many bird feeders around the yard, but they were too blurred. About a week ago, we were standing in the kitchen watching the fat little quails waddling around the yard, barely able to walk, when a huge hawk swooped down and grabbed one. The swoop was so instantaneous that all we could do was scream and yell. Fortunately for the little quail, the hawk was thrown off balance and fell to the ground, losing the quail. Hooray!! In fact, Dad even confided that he may have found a good substitute for the dog he's been wanting for the last few years. These critters don't have to be babysat if one wants to go off for a small vacation, and they don't bother the neighbors or foul up the yard.
So, life is calm and quiet for us. The snow is gone, but it's cold and very windy. We're hearing there's a snowstorm coming in on Sunday. We're so grateful for all of our blessings and pray for each of you!! Keep your sunny side up!! Love You, Mom
"Life is like a Rolls-Royce on a rocky country road, it's full of bounces and lurches, but you can't really complain about the seat."

1 comment:

Your favorite sister said...

Well I am glad that you had so much fun at Susan's. Juliana is just adorable and I am glad you got some quality time with her...even if it was in the middle of the night. :)

We are very excited for you to come and visit. We have been making our lists for the states so I will get it to you soon. Two things about flying here are 1) The waiting area for the Guam flight, is seriously lacking in seats. So once you get one, don't move! 2) The food prices in Hawaii are INSANE. I would highly recommend not eating there and just holding off until you get on the plane. Oh I thought of one more...Hawaii to Guam is one loooong flight. Make sure you have a lot to do! But remember you will have an anxious daughter waiting once you land! :)