Thursday, March 19, 2009

IT MUST BE SPRING--WE'RE IN PROJECT MODE

Spring is within our range of vision. White Salmon is putting on her Spring colors. Today we did a survey of the front yard and were dismayed to see that we've lost a few rhododendrons and some shrubbery to the destruction of winter weather. The plants have served us well, and we'll find new plants in their honor.
I'm sure you're wondering what on earth I am doing showing a picture of grocery sacks. Believe it or not, they're a tribute to my sister who is leaving for a church mission a week from today. My sister is a pack rat and a gadget girl when it comes to sewing, specifically quilting. She has every gadget ever invented that is designed to make sewing easier. She has a sewing room filled with gidgets and gadgets, books, baskets, and lots of projects in embryo!! Second only to her family, Joan is going to miss this hodge podge world of sewing projects. She's made dozens and dozens of quilts, table runners, pictures for everyone, and typical of most quilters, she doesn't have any of her own creations for herself!! She generously walked me into her sewing sanctuary and said, "Take whatever you want." The result is the bags; I took what I thought I would need. At one point, we were examining a drawer labeled "Miscellaneous." Joan had forgotten the exact use for some of the gadgets, so we had a hearty laugh over the possible uses we could put them to. As I hauled out my full bags of sewing gidgets and gadgets, I was reminded of my mother. For years after we girls were married and had families of our own, Mother always had a pile of "finds" for us to take home each time we came. If Mother found a sale on toothpaste, she bought three--one for each of us. Mother often shopped at the "Big Store" for us. Her long-time boyfriend was the local garbage man, and he brought her his finds!! I will miss my sister! I know that it is important for her to go off and serve the Lord; a senior mission is an experience not to be missed. I will have her presence through emails, facebook, and blogs; it's her physical presence I will miss. No one who isn't a twin understands the bond that exists between twins. Bon Voyage, Joan. Have fun and bring me back an east coast gidget or gadget or two.
My picture is blurry, but you get the gist of the picture--the kitchen cabinets are now empty. Kitchen bling is in the dining room as we start working on some long needed projects--painting, new cabinet doors, new counter. Notice that I filled the kitchen table as full as I could get it. Hmmm....I guess we'll just have to eat out this week...Oh, darn!
I'm exercising in a senior citizens class. I'm the youngest in the class. It's a kick.
Dad took this picture of his squirrels' tenacity in acquiring Dad's delicacies. They've chewed through the hard, hard plastic handles to get more!!
Life right now is busy, fulfilling, and a might exhausting--just the way life should be. Hope it's the same for all of you. Love, Mom
The task ahead of us is never as great as the Power behind us.

No comments: