Saturday, April 4, 2009

IT TAKES TWO

After about an hour of pinning 4.5x2.5 rectangles together to make patchwork rows for Ethan's quilt, I decided to give my weary neck a rest and took a break. I went to check on Dad who was happily wrapped in the cocoon of his blanket, dreaming, I'm sure, of how to finish the kitchen project! I had on my mind a lady in my exercise class with whom I have only a nodding acquaintance. She's in my prayers because she recently lost her fiance. He proposed to her and gave her a ring on Monday and died of a sudden heart attack brought on, they say, by the sound of the snapping of a large tree in his front yard. This isn't the first time Gail has received such a loss. Her first husband died a long and lingering death some years ago, and a man who courted her after her husband's death also gave her a ring and then died the next day. One of the exercise ladies said, "I wonder how she can put one foot in front of the other." Indeed. Her plight reminds me how fragile life is. How one needs to enjoy and relish each and every moment with a loved one--especially a spouse. Dad is a popular fellow at the senior citizens' center we sometimes go to. He's always outgoing and friendly, mobile, and still a handsome, vigorous man at 70. (No wonder this guy still makes my heart leap!) He's most often asked, "Do you dance?" "Only with my wife." "Oh," they say glumly as they look over at me. The song lyrics, "It takes two, Babe" often come to my mind when we venture into that lair!

It took two--Thomas and Margaret Olive Bailey Kennedy--to produce this large progeny. Cousin Peggy recently presented Grandma with this prototype of a wall hanging that she's making for her. Blue slips are children and spouses, yellow are grandchildren, green are great-grandchildren, and pink are great-great. Grandma's 101st descendant--Drake Douglas Sturges was born a few days/weeks ago.



It takes two to do kitchen projects. When we're working on projects, there are clearly defined roles. As you can see Dad has the bulk of the work! He's sanded down and painted and worked very hard on a new look. I am in charge of the bling--clearing out the kitchen cabinets, decorating, making the McDonald's runs for sustenance, and staying out of the way.




My job was to line the shelves with shelf liner. Don't you love the sweet little chickens? As you can see, the project didn't go well since I started it while Dad was in The Dalles picking up more supplies. I measured, re-measured, lined up, etc. I even braved standing on the footstool to get the shelf paper on straight!! I would have cussed some too, but I'm trying to be good. To no avail--my results are clearly picture above. Dad came home to the disaster, held one end of the paper while I held the other, and we finished papering the shelves--it took two!



And we have two April birthdays!! Mr. Wyatt turns two on income tax day! He thinks he's three or maybe even four, so don't spoil his illusion. In this picture, he's wearing his "fire coat" made by his Grandma Niehoff. He doesn't take this coat off!!
Birthday girl, Taylor, is a sweetheart. She turns four. Like most little girls, Taylor is a princess and a thinker.


Life is good for us right now. All is well. Grandma is doing quite well, and everyone in the family seems to be truckin' along. We have everything money can't buy!! Love from the home front. Mom

"Grace is God's acceptance of me. Faith is my acceptance of God's acceptance of me. Peace is my acceptance of me." Robert Millett

2 comments:

Laurel said...

Loved your post! I can't wait to see all the finished projects. I also really liked the quote at the end. A friend shared this with me years ago concerning faith.

Faith - in God
Hope - Faith in Ourselves
Charity - Faith in Others

Enjoy your Conference Weekend!

Your favorite sister said...

I am sure that Ethan will love the quilt! He will have no idea the work that went into it, but I know he will love it.

Glad to hear everything is going well. Love you Mom!